Built in 1886, the Seagull Cottage was originally called Croton Cottage and served as Henry Flagler’s winter residence before his home Whitehall was completed in 1902.
The 18-month restoration project included lifting the cottage four feet high to complete restoration work to the bottom, followed by keeping the building raised an additional foot from its original setting to improve drainage. Woodwork, frames and windows were replaced, as well as an octagon-shaped turret that was lost years ago.The new tower was positioned several feet to the northwest of the original turret’s location so it could be centered on a new staircase that facilitated the build of a 2,000 square-foot extension to the north side of the building.
Preservation Foundation of Palm Beach
Palm Beach, Florida