The Walter S. Gubelmann Auditorium is a 700-seat theater located within the Esther B. O’Keeffe Gallery Building. Renovations to the 1930 theatre included structural, technological and decorative updates.
Decorative accents include rectangular panels on the walls and above the proscenium; stage curtains; and diamond-patterned carpet runners with floral borders. The red takes its cue from the ceiling, which has been livened up with faux-wood accents inspired by the coffered Mizner ceiling in the lobby.
Conkling & Lewis removed old plywood to expose arches, which then were filled with new acoustical panels. The curtains that separated the theater from the lobby were replaced with soundproof doors.
New LED stage lighting were installed and the analog sound board was been upgraded to digital. The green room was refinished with fresh flooring, paint and furniture.
In the center of the room, a 9-foot circular Spanish-flavored chandelier, inspired by smaller Mizner-designed chandeliers in the galleries, was installed. The piece can be raised so that it doesn’t interfere with projections. Additional lighting included lantern-shaped lights copied from the Mizner fixtures in the lobby.
The Society of the Four Arts
Palm Beach, Florida